18.9.09

i like this place and willingly could waste my time in it

I had what will probably be my last night out in London before uni on thursday, and boy am I gon' miss it. Ten of us had dinner at the new Vapiano on Great Portland Street, to stuff ourselves full of the best pasta in London for a mere £5.50. It brought back happy memories of Berlin, where Vapiano was our saving grace from the horrors of hostel catering. It's basically fast food - you queue, tell the chef what pasta you want, and they make it there right in front of you in a couple of minutes. Then you return to your bench, tear off a few leaves from the basil plant, and tuck in. Seriously good.

Kat, me, basil, and what looks like a saucepan lid.
Then seven of us carried on to Candybox in Soho, passing the launch party of Christopher Kane's new Topshop line (which looks mostly a bit shit, with one good crocodile dress) and a crowd of paparazzi outside Jazz After Dark, waiting for Amy Winehouse to emerge. We saw her towering hair, but nothing else. The guy standing on the wheel of the car is the best thing about this picture.

At Candybox it was cheap to get drunk/drunk to get cheap, and they played indie disco hits that warmed my heart. As we arrived, they were playing Blue Boy by Orange Juice, then played Belle & Sebastian and Echo & The Bunnymen in quick succession. There were some alarmingly well-dressed and angular people in attendance, but it wasn't too pretentious. Dancing moment of the night was Jump in the Pool by Friendly Fires. I don't know what happened, but Kat and I went slightly crazy.
I'm wearing: YourEyesLie menswear skull tee, Camden - leggings, TK Maxx (sale, yes) - blue suede shoes, Topshop - denim shirt, mum's from the 90s - rosary, from the Vatican.


This guy was literally unconscious. Imogen was using him as a dancing puppet. It was both disturbing and extremely funny.





As we left, wobbly-legged and numb-eared, we had a collective shouting match about how much we were going to miss each other, and weepy farewells upon separation. We were accosted by some French men, and some Australians whom we completely misdirected in a well meaning manner. I got back at about half 4, having got an ever faithful night bus from Piccadilly Circus, and thought to myself, WHY ARE WE MOVING AWAY?!?? In capitals, with unnecessary punctuation. I'm now broke, and am paying dearly for going out ill (powered only by Lemsip), but it was worth it to have my last night out in London for at least three months, with my super most bestest friends in the world.

1 comment:

Arcadian Lady said...

I LOVE YOU REBECCA WARREN.
(Yes, in capitals.)