22.3.09

the perks of being a wallflower

The phrase "the perks of being a wallflower" is far more interesting than the novel of the same name by Stephen Chbosky. It is probably due to the aesthetically pleasing cover, the dreamy-sounding title, or the many recommendations I've had of it that the novel turned out to be the complete and disappointing opposite of what I had expected. I had imagined an understated but affecting tale of unappreciated beauty, but in this case I was judging it entirely by its cover. It's one of those books that I've always been told to read, a supposed 'generation defining' work, adored the world over by a multitude of teens labouring under the misapprehensions of youth. And although I count myself among that multitude, I just didn't get it - I found it trite, condescending, and inconsequential. The plot was weakened by the first person narrative of Charlie, as in an effort to be more accessible perhaps, Chbosky gave his central character only the most basic and functional language to tell his story with. This could quite obviously be a reflection on the character - were Charlie a real person I doubt he'd be prone to verbal acrobatics - but it made the narrative incredibly boring.
Some kids look at me strange in the hallways because I don't decorate my locker, and I'm the one who beat up Sean and couldn't stop crying after he did it. I guess I'm pretty emotional.
Stop press - Strange? Crying? Emotional? The very essence of the troubled youth... In reality, it has more in common with The Story of Tracy Beaker than anything else.


I was trying to find a photo that represented what my idea of a "wallflower" had been, and found this picture:

I took this at the Neue Wache sculpture by Käthe Kollwitz in Berlin. It's a strange memorial, housed in a massive, grim-looking grey concrete box, and dedicated to all those who died in the Second World War - including the Nazis. Anna standing alone had escaped my notice, but I really like the effect of her isolation from the group. She looks almost superimposed, a pale ghost looking on from the outside.

2 comments:

$ym said...

i had book confusion with catcher in the rye. thought it was shit, ha!

tree said...

well pretentious...